Indonesian Perkedel (Potato Pancakes)

Okay, so this will be my first post in English (hopefully it won't be my last). I decided to post about Indonesian Perkedel (Per-Ga-Dell) because lately I notice some similarities between Perkedel and Japanese Korokke. So I think maybe this is the kind of food that travels around the world and been through some adaptation here and there. Hopefully it can be as famous as Korokke :D

I always love Perkedel, can't even resist to eat one if I encountered with it. So the fact that it can be done with so many methods excites me.


I remember I used to help my Mom made Perkedel. We always made it using mortar and pestle, everything is smashed except for the green onions, so it was a lot of work. And because our family consists of many people, my mom had to went and make quite a lot of them. That is why it became a rare and exclusive menu in our family.


Basically, most ingredients works well with Perkedel. I've already done quite a lot of experiment with it. Of course we can't skip the potatoes, but everything else are experimental. I've tried skipping the meat and use only potatoes and fried garlic slice, or replaced the minced meat with canned corned beef, or replaced minced beef with minced shrimp. It all worked well!

I made this one using only potato and fried garlic. It's great for afternoon snack.

But, since I'm going to use my mom's recipe, I'm going to write the basic recipe and maybe you can add or skip some ingredients depends on how you like your Perkedel.

Indonesian Perkedel (Potato Pancake)


Ingredients :
3-4 large potatoes
1/4 - 1/2 cup of minced shrimp/beef (more meat makes coarser texture)
5-6 cloves of Indonesian red onions (you can replace this with 1/2 of a shallot, or if it's a hassle just skip it)
4 cloves of garlic (if you skip the red onions, add another 2 cloves, slice them all and fry until golden brown)
2 teaspoon of grated nutmeg (you can skip this if you don't like the aroma)
2 stalks of green onions, chopped.
salt and pepper
1 egg
oil for frying

Method :
1. Peel and cut potatoes into chunks, give them a good wash in cold water and put them in a basket or colander to drain the excess water.
2. Fry the potatoes until they are cooked. Set aside. Keep the oil in the pan for frying the Perkedel later on.
3. If you have pestle and mortar, bash the red onions and garlic until they become a coarse paste. If you don't have one (like me), you can use food processor or just finely chop them.

If you have a fresh nutmeg like this, just grate it right into the potato mixture.

4. Using a fork, mash the potatoes until it achieve a rather smooth texture. Or if you are a fan of silky smooth mashed potato texture, use pestle and mortar to pound them (My mom used pound half of the onions and then put in some potatoes, and bash them altogether so the onions won't spurt). *Avoid using food processor though, because it will make the Perkedel taste rubbery.
5. In a big bowl, combine the mashed potatoes, onions+garlic, chopped green onions, grated nutmeg and minced shrimp/beef. Add 2 teaspoon of salt and 1 teaspoon of pepper to taste.


6. Shape the mixture into a ball and slightly press them to flatten.


7. Re-heat the oil in medium-low heat and beat the egg.
8. When the oil is hot enough, coat Perkedel in beaten egg thoroughly and gently put it into the oil to fry.
It's better to do this with your hand to keep a nice smooth shape of the Perkedel.

Usually, I only put this much oil to fry them. So this is not considered as "deep fried" :D

9. When frying, don't turn it around until the bottom part turns brown and solid (it should only take 5 minutes), otherwise it will get messy.
10. After both sides are turning brown and solid, transfer it to paper towel or put it in a sift to drain the excess oil. And after that, it is ready to serve. I usually eat this with some rice and stir fried-veggies.

This one consists 40% minced beef in it, so it will give more "meaty" texture.

So, that is my favorite Perkedel recipe. I hope it is useful and please forgive my awkward English. Thank you for reading this post.

Komentar

Postingan populer dari blog ini

Brownies Kukus Coklat Pisang

Furikake Daun Lobak

Spaghetti Bolognaise Om Bara